NatureCubsIreland delivers fun, educational nature classes to primary school children that are directly linked to the Geography and Science SESE Curricula.
Mairéad is a registered Heritage in Schools Specialist. This means she has undergone a vigorous selection process to be accepted onto the Specialist panel that delivers curriculum-linked school visits about biodiversity; our wildlife, plants and our natural heritage.
Heritage in Schools visits are unfortunately paused at present. NatureCubsIreland feels strongly that this is an element of the school curriculum that is still safe to deliver and in fact, would provide school administrators with a means of delivering the curriculum that allows children to be outside in the clean air, getting exercise and separated from each other.
We have always been in a position to visit schools privately, outside the Heritage in Schools Scheme. Now, more than ever, we will continue to work with schools, to engage children in nature around their school and locality, to help adjust children to being back in a structured school environment and to allow for curriculum based learning in the clean and healthy outdoors.
The following are some of the new Covid safety precautions we will put in place when visiting your school:
- Break down school visit into a number of visits to facilitate small group sizes
- Outdoor lessons to increase access to fresh and clean air
- Individual laminated worksheets that can be sanitised thoroughly so children can work alone
- Individual activities for each child (unless siblings) yet working within context of a small group
- Any tools (e.g. magnifying glass) used will be thoroughly sanitized after use
- Children given hand sanitiser to use before handling any tools
Mairéad introduces Irish nature, biodiversity and environmental issues to school children. Each class is bespoke and is specific to the habitats in and around the school and to the age of the children. Teachers’ requirements for each visit are paramount when deciding on content. We introduce the Irish names for plants and animals throughout.
Topics that can be covered include:
- Local and Irish habitats
- Local biodiversity and wildlife
- Pollinators and School Pollinator Plans
- School Wildlife Plans
- What we can do to help wildlife in Winter
- Geology and rocks
- How to be a Wildlife detective; in search of tracks and trails
- Bird Identification
- Wildlife crafts
- Nature trails and tree trails
- How to grow your garden
- Bugs in bushes and trees
- Coastal ecology
- Seashell Identification
- Freshwater ecology
- Raised Bogs
- Freshwater pond dipping
- Trees in winter
- What’s up with plastic?
- Science week topics
- Heritage Week topics
Any Natural Sciences topic can be covered and Mairéad is delighted to discuss your ideas and accommodate your requests.
Mairéad has good spoken Irish and would be happy to use Gaeilge throughout the class.
Please Contact Us so we can discuss how we can deliver a visit that meets the needs of your school.